All Information collected in this practice is treated as “Sensitive Information”
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE COLLECT YOUR PRIVATE INFORMATION
• We only collect your personal information which is necessary for providing you with a health service
• Where it is practical we will only collect information directly from you
• We would seek your assistance to ensure that the information that we hold about you is accurate and up to date
ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION
• You can access your personal health information that is held by this practice
• If you at any time need access to your personal health records, our practice staff can advise you of the procedure.
TO WHOM WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
To provide you with a quality health service we may disclose selected personal health information to others involved in your treatment and care such as:
• Treating Hospital
• Pathology Provider
• Medical Imaging Service (eg X/ray)
• Allied Health Professionals
We only disclosed those details necessary for you to receive appropriate care from the health service concerned.
Limited information (for billing or public health registers) must be disclosed by law to government bodies overseeing the provision of public health services (eg for billing purposes we are required to provide to Medicare Australia a Medicare number in conjunction with the type of medical service we provide to you).
RESPECTING YOUR PRIVACY
• Our staff and Gp’s are all trained in best practice privacy ethics.
• All of our caring and informed staff and doctors are able to advise on any of your privacy concerns.
• If you have any questions or concerns about the way our doctors and staff are handling your privacy or you feel the need to access your information, please speak to one of our staff or to your Doctor.
• We have located on our front reception desk a suggestion box and form if you would like to fill in this form and not relay your details but make a suggestion our practice is more than happy to review any such suggestions for the continuous quality improvement of our practice.
If you feel that you are unable to resolve the issue with the Practice then you can contact the: Privacy Commissioner
Health Rights Commission GPO Box 3809 Brisbane Qld 4001
PH: 1300 363 992 www.privacy.gov.au
We consider that all of our patients who attend this practice would expect that the information they provide will only be used to assist in the management of their overall healthcare.
We also consider that our patients would expect that their selected personal health details would be only disclosed to other health services that are or maybe directly in providing a particular health service to the chosen individual.
For example, if we take a blood sample then we would anticipate that the patient would reasonably expect that the pathology service provider will receive clear details that identify who the sample was collected from, by the clear labelling with the correct name, date of birth and contact details and what the requested tests are and the name and practice details of the requesting doctor.
If you or any of your immediate family, as patients of this practice, have any concerns relating to the secondary use or disclosure of your personal health information then please feel free to speak with your doctor or the practice manager about any such concerns.SHOULD I SIGN A CONSENT FORM
It is normal practice for a patient to be asked to sign various consents on our New Patient Information form. By signing this consent form, you are consenting to the use and disclosure of your personal information which can assist the practice to ensure that all the necessary health information is available to all those that may be involved in your healthcare when needed.